Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cruel and usual

Just and Painful: A Case for the Corporal Punishment of Criminals:

Something too reasonable ever to be instituted.

In my Alternative Republic, without fear of the superstitious shibboleths that create the bizarre contradictions of our penal code, there'd be room for more imaginative forms of justice. Which could actually be more just than our default move of long-term warehousing.

'via Blog this'

A lot of attitudes toward things like capital punishment are about aesthetics, really. Would I rather be beheaded by a Saudi swordsman or fried in the chair in America? One is bloody, but very swift while the other is gruesome but no skin is visibly broken. One is public, the other private. From the point of view of the criminal, I'd take the sword. So much moral posturing is partly about messiness and public-ness.

PS. Reminds me of when my car was stolen by a group of young bruthas from Richmond and trashed. I had fantasies of them tied to large trees, with enthusiastic flogging.
--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a site or if I have something to valuable
to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is triggered by the
sincerness communicated in the article I read. And after this post
"Cruel and usual". I was actually moved enough to
post a comment :-P I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it's okay. Is it just me or do a few of these responses look like they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I would like to keep up with you. Would you make a list every one of all your community pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

My page :: linked site

Anonymous said...

PUNISHMENT! also: DO NOT ATTEND The University Of Kansas, potential college students, no matter WHAT year, YOU'RE all thinking about attending, The University Of Kansas. Lawrence, Kansas, has become a SAD little town, that I USED to LIKE living in, but I DON'T THINK, I'll be RENTING THERE, anymore. I am rather DISAPPOINTED, seeing as to HOW I paid GOOD rent money, to ALL the land lords, I paid apartment rent too, on TIME, ALL the TIME! it's just a DISAPPOINTMENT! I wanted to keep living in Lawrence, Kansas. I would NOT recommend, attending The University Of Kansas, though! maybe Lawrence, Kansas land lords, will become a little LESS PICKY, when NO STUDENTS, attend THEIR University, Of Kansas?? from Elise Gingrich, in Texas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...