Friday, May 03, 2013

On country music

Though I don't listen to country music as much as I used to ---don't listen to music at all as much as I used to-- it can still grab me. And if my choice had to be between country music and the hiphop/rap shit that infects the whole world*, no question. It's the closest thing left in America to a White musical voice.

For all its many virtues, it does have a tendency toward sentimentalism. When does a heartfelt sad love song turn to treacle? Sometimes this gets so bad that it makes even Tim McGraw almost impossible to listen to. Plus, he's a Democrat.

The talented but sappy Mr. McGraw

Like talented and deluded Brad Paisley. Well, not everyone is Toby Keith.

I think it leans that way because it is an industry, a business. It publishes music that its demographic wants. Its other flaw, IMHO, is the overdone narrative of the cheatin' man hurtin' the poor lil woman. This allows the part archetypal and part feminist theme of woman-as-victim to paint men as worthless jackasses. Women can react violently to this without consequence.

I was surprised to discover the actual demographics of country music fans. Only a little more than half female. Are the men of country music out to make women like them so they can get...you know?

Prolly.

From my immune-to-female-sex-appeal POV, this always makes me shake my head.

But for melody and instrumentation, narrative, play with language and love of ordinary humanity, it's still pretty damn good American music.
--

*Even contemporary country gets tainted with it now and again, trying to be cool and PC.

-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some more country music for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNcmWe2qhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLbIQvEon4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xSxqVlyC6c

- That Good Old Bishop of Portland

OreamnosAmericanus said...

I see that His Grace has mined an older vein!

OreamnosAmericanus said...

It's natural to be attracted to straight men. They are the classic model, the standard issue, the patent holders.

What's not smart --and I did it once, disastrously-- is to let yourself fall for one.

Anonymous said...

Define falling for a straight man. Does thinking about him in a romantic context count? Because I'm guilty as charged. There is this one guy... He is (was) the captain of my university's hockey team. A mentally and emotionally solid guy, sensitive without being maudlin, a guy I wouldn't feel ashamed of showing my body to... I just don't know how to broach the topic of his sexuality without outing myself. I think bringing up the incident I mentioned about the Bruin's player, then ask if he thought the presence of a gay player on the hockey team would be problematic. Advice?

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...