Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Men and women not equal

Carrie Underwood had a hit song in 2005. One of many she's had:


Right now, she's probably up singing some
White-trash version of Shania karaoke
Right now, she's probably saying "I'm drunk"
And he's thinking that he's gonna get lucky
Right now, he's probably dabbing on 
Three dollars worth of that bathroom polo
Oh and he don't know... OH!

That I dug my key into the side of his 
Pretty little souped up four wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seat
I took a Louisville slugger to both head lights
Slashed a hole in all four tires
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

I might've saved a little trouble for the next girl
'Cause the next time that he cheats
Oh, you know it won't be on me
No, oh

Not on me...

So she vandalizes the man's vehicle, keying, carving, smashing and slashing. And it's a hit song.
I'm sure many hard-done-by females sang it lustily. When the guy finds it, well, we imagine he curses and swears. And that's that.

Now imagine a switch. She cheats on him and he destroys something of hers of similar size and value and sings about it.

Terrorism. Abuse. Misogyny. Rape culture. Police will be called.

Laura Bell Bundy's Giddy On Up has the cheating man stripped and dragged out of town behind her horse. Need I suggest the furor that would erupt were the roles changed?

And of course there was the Dixie Chicks' cheerfully lethal Goodbye Earl...

The video was nominated for Female Video of the Year and USA Weekend Breakthrough Video of the Year on the 2010 CMT Music Awards, and Breakthrough Artist Video of the Year at the 2010 American Country Awards.

Men and women are not equal.

---

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...