Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Old factory pleasures

The aroma of the first puff on a cigarette*, vanilla in the bottle, and ...toasted sesame oil.



Now that's my idea of multiculturalism.


Sliced pork, with salt and pepper, slathered with the toasty elixir. Tastes great. (Great on shrimp, too.) And the smell...damn. It almost solidifies in your nose.

Yum.
--

*Since I don't smoke cigarettes, someone else's. After that first puff, the smell changes. Like the smell of the first snowfall of the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, sesame oil. My mom has a great Thai peanut noodle salad. Slathered in a homemade peanut sauce with chopped cashews, served with Asian-style pork... damn, getting hungry just thinking of it.

Cigarette smoke is a wonderfully provocative scent. At first my nose wrinkles, but then it relaxes and I breathe it in. I prefer cigar smoke, but cigarettes are nice. I recall a day in health class where the professor expounded on the dangers of smoking. As if I haven't heard them a dozen times. Every student in the class dutifully declared that they could never imagine smoking "because it smells bad." And I wondered, "I can't be the only one who kind of likes it."

-Sean

Anonymous said...

The theory is that people like the aromas -- even if they don't want to directly smoke them -- because of the history of _homo sapiens_ having lived around campfires for myriads of years.

Re multicultural cuisine - I've recently been having a notion of reinventing the tastier of MidEast dishes with porcine additions. A Murtad Menu for Apostate Appetites.

--Nathan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...