Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Gay Culture Lesson


Lest you forget who you really are...
you will be reminded.
--

Walking home thru the Castro yesterday afternoon, I passed two tall thin White drag queens. It occurred to me that, if gayness simply means erotic attraction to other males, it is not sufficient to explain gay culture. Some kind of gender dysphoria is involved. Professional gays agree with me, although they would not consider their celebration of effeminacy "dysphoric." So do homosexual men who do not recognize themselves as gay anymore. Homosexuality, at least for some of us, is natural; gayness is learned.

A great deal is encapsulated in the above exchange. The Queen tells the Guy to "get over it" and to accept that like "all of us", he's a Queen, too. In this case, apparently "diversity" is not a value.  But imagine if the Guy criticized the Queen for not acting like a man. Hate crime. Self-loather. As Jack Donovan said, gay/lefty diversity is like the Village People: you can all wear different stupid outfits but you all have to sing the same stupid song.

I think I understand the psychological issues here, but it does not make it any less tellingly wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And right here, ladies and gentlemen is my bone of contention with the gay community. The insistence on feminine behavior and posturing rubs me in so many wrong ways, I've lost count. I realize that there are some male archetypes that have a well-developed anima (Dionysus the Lover, Poseidon the Artist), but the treatment of masculinity as a mask hiding a female nature ticks me off. That and the victim mentality. At the risk of sounding like a Holy and Blessed Minority, I am not a victim.

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...