Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Androphilia yet again


A queer thing has been happening of late. I find myself hesitating just a bit internally before I use the phrase "gay man" to describe myself. I have never been a reactive rejector of labels, as long as I felt I could modify their meaning a bit to suit me. I am wondering if the "gay" label has become so monolithic that I am kidding myself about my ability to do this.

As should be abundantly clear, I love men. But Jack Malebranche's (see pic above) contention that "gay" is basically irredeemable to any homosexual man who loves his own, and other men's, manhood...well, I guess it's having its effect. That unholy trinity of "group victimism, anti-male feminism and leftwing politics" is not friendly to actual men.

(Notice the correct use of "it's" and "its" in the penultimate sentence. I may be a man, but am still a stickler for decent grammar and can use the word "penultimate".)

Another review of Androphilia, from Australia, does a very nice job of laying out some of Jack's argument, including excerpts from an interview:

In pursuit of manhood Wednesday, 19 March 2008

The argument for a new gay identity is examined by S.V. Koumakis.

‘Gay is dead.’ So begins Androphilia: a Manifesto by Jack Malebranche, in which the American author expounds his uncompromising views of modern gay identity; and his vision of a masculine ideal of excellence that recalls the warrior ethos of ancient Greece.

“The word ‘gay’ describes a whole cultural and political movement that promotes anti-male feminism, victim mentality, and leftist politics,” says Malebranche, who advocates use of the term ‘androphilia’ to express ‘a sexual love and appreciation for men as it is experienced by males’. He also uses the word ‘androphile’ to identify men who desire other men.

The first print run of Androphilia was almost sold out less than a year after its release. Readers’ feedback on Malebranche’s website describes how the book resonated with them. Yet the author has also met with criticism; even accused of homophobia.

“To accept homosexuality in oneself is now equated with accepting an intrinsic effeminacy, and any denial of this is widely believed to be symptomatic of ‘internalised homophobia’ … The real ‘internalised homophobia’ is the belief that you can’t truly be a man simply because you love other men,” Malebranche argues in his manifesto.

The author, who describes himself as “an unrepentant masculinist,” also admits to having once been a go-go dancer in New York’s club scene. “I’ve challenged gender constructs. I’ve done drag. I talked the talk and fagged out with the best of them,” he says. “My critique of gay culture doesn’t come from an outsider’s ignorance; it comes from an insider’s knowledge.”

Malebranche, who speaks in his book of his decade-long relationship with his male lover, whom he acknowledges as the most important person in his life, is far from the ‘perfectly vile queer’ his detractors would present him to be. His views, though blunt, are candid and to the point, and his depth of vision is exceptional.

Feminists might claim that Androphilia: a Manifesto encourages men to become misogynists. How would you respond to this?
Androphiliais often labelled ‘misogynist’ because it does not serve a radical feminist agenda. Androphilia does not in any way advocate the abuse of women or hatred of women,and it takes no position on the role of women in society. It is a book written by a man specifically for men.

Critics suggest there are statements in your manifesto which would break up the gay community if taken to heart. What is your view?
Gay leaders frequently talk about a need to ‘build coalitions’ but these coalitions always seem to pit homosexual men against straight, white men - the scapegoated universal enemy of all minorities. What homosexual men really need is to work on building a coalition with straight men. They need to start building a history of friendships and positive interactions with straight men that will give straight men cause to stand with homosexual men and stand up for them, instead of against them.

Some would argue that androphilia would push homosexuals back into the closet. How would you explain to them that this is not the case?
I am not ‘in the closet’. I wrote a book about homosexuality and put my picture on the inside flap. I’m not asking anyone to be secretive about their sexuality. There’s a difference between prancing around like a fruit with a rainbow striped t-shirt on, proclaiming your sexual preference to everyone you meet; and simply being ‘out of the closet’. The root question here is ‘does being ‘out of the closet’ mean being honest about your sexuality when asked, or does it require an exhibition of effeminacy?’

What advice would you give to an adolescent youth coming to terms with same-sex desire?

Let your own actions and interests define your character; don’t rely on the easy, one-size-fits-all comfort of the gay identity. Concentrate on personal achievement and development. Educate yourself. Choose a vocation and excel. Earn the respect of your peers. Make your mark on the world. There’s nothing wrong with sex, there’s nothing wrong with being homosexual, and there’s nothing wrong with wanting to find a relationship. You can make your own rules and craft your own destiny. That’s what sexual liberation is really all about, isn’t it? Figure out for yourself what it means to be a homosexual man.

In your manifesto, you assert that ‘androphiles could become leaders of men in virtually any field’. This is truly visionary, and makes perfect sense. What led to your keen appreciation of the masculine ideal and potential?

In part, my appreciation for masculine idealism stemmed from a shift in personal philosophy that moved from ‘the world as I think it ought to be’ to ‘the world as it is’.

At some point I realized that what I really needed was a reality check and a kick in the arse. I needed to be challenged, not coddled. I needed discipline, linear thinking and goal driven, objective measures of achievement - not the endless circle of excuses, subjective evaluations and self-destruction.

I slowly began to appreciate the way men groom each other, the way they toughen each other up, push each other, and discourage weakness. When I was a teenager, I dismissed all of this as macho bullshit, but as a grown man, I started to understand the ‘why’. I started to appreciate the value of it and the role that it plays not only in making stronger men, but in making stronger, more durable societies.

www.jackmalebranche.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...