Saturday, March 01, 2008

Saving the World

I have two friends, one of long standing, the other of the last few years. Both of them are passionate men. One my age, one younger. On the surface they differ in many many ways. But both of them are deeply troubled by...the world and the human race.

Both of them hold a vision of how people ought to be and both of them suffer because the race constantly disappoints them. And they both hold themselves to high standards of behavior and lament their inability to live up these standards...largely because the other humans they meet do not reward them for their quest to be good.

I have felt that way, though not for quite a while. When I was younger, it led to a good deal of bitterness in my soul. I no longer hold the world hostage to my ideals. I came to the astonishing conclusion that I am not responsible for the race or the planet.

That is God's work.


God created the world and the race of mankind. Within our limits and our powers, we are each responsible for ourselves and those around us, but as the Psalms say "the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof is His." That's how it should be. It's His responsibility.

If there's any saving to be done, it is up to Him to save the world, not me. I wish those good and suffering fellas would understand that and let themselves off the hook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disappointment: It's how one spits on God.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...