Sunday, October 06, 2013

The shoulders of giants

22 years ago this week I arrived in SF from Toronto, all my belongings in a rented truck, driving 3000 miles across America, returning to live in my home country after 18 years abroad. An easy ride on US-80, made possible by all the pioneers and builders who first crossed the continent on foot, in wagons. What took me 9 days took them most of a year. That trip gave me a visceral sense of the vastness of the country and their stunning pluck and toughness. They were far better men.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that morality (in its modern liberal sense, at least) is a luxury, and that strength of all kinds is a necessity. The Celts and Vikings and Romans and Greeks didn't have the internet or the Geneva Accords or "human rights," but they had plenty of strength. I would say the Romans would love to conquer us, but I wonder if they would deem us too little of a challenge and too great of a liability as subjects.

-Sean

OreamnosAmericanus said...

I agree. Liberal ethics, in all its delicacy, is only possible inside a civilization and society created mostly by non-Liberal ethics. Eg. feminism could only arise in societies created by White men, who made life so easy for women that they could afford to be bored. The same is true for all the other currently triumphant victims.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...