Thursday, October 17, 2013

Irritating Christians

I commented on a Catholic blog. Very polite, I thought.

Another commentor jumped in to defend the blog owner from what he called my "passive aggressive" remarks.

I thanked the second voice for his ad hominem remarks --now I was being passive aggressive--and clarified what I had meant.

The blog owner chastized us both for our tone and urged us to be more magnanimous and gentlemanly.


Christians on blogs make me nuts because of this. Nannying each other to play nice. Have they never read the 23rd chapter of Matthew or  the Epistles of the Apostles? Or even better, the Fathers of the Church. St Jerome? Or pretty well most Christian writing for 2000 years?

It is, shall we say, blunt and robust.

But now we have the Mr Rogers version of ball-less Christian niceness as "charity". Always made me nuts.

Constant self-monitoring. Or lacking that, some pious ninny chastizing the "tone."


Babies.

---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the part in Revelation where Jesus tells the Laodicean Church that they are lukewarm and so he will reject them? I'm starting to wonder if that is what is happening to the majority of Christianity: caught between liberalism and God, they espouse beliefs of both while never committing to either. I can seriously see the Religious Right saying, "Screw it" and start voting Democrat just for the chance of getting even a crumb of influence.

And if that happens, we really will need something to combat the rising Islamic tide. Unless that's going to happen no matter what we do?

-Sean

Anonymous said...

"But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

The Bishop of Portland, quoting some sword-buying guy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...