Monday, October 22, 2012

Meteorological retro-exegesis

There was a line from the Song of Songs that used to puzzle me. I first came across it as one of the antiphons for the Office of the Virgin:


Arise, my love, my beautiful one, my dove and come: 
Winter is past. The rains are over and gone.

One of the benefits of living in SF is that I now share a climate somewhat like Solomon's, in that there is a dry season (May to September) and a rainy season (October to April). Which started today with our first real rainfall. So next spring, when the water from the sky stops for the summer, I can at least say the second half of the phrase.

Even after 21 years here, I still consciously appreciate how this works. In the winter, it does get chillier, but it rains far more, so that everything gets greener in the winter. By Christmas, the lemon tree will produce many dozens of new fruit. Not a bad deal.

---


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...