Saturday, January 08, 2011

Time travel

I accompanied my Canadian friend tonight at the dinner of the North American Academy of Liturgy. It was like falling into a time machine for me. Had I remained in the priesthood, these folks would have been my contemporaries.

An amusing moment. I was introduced to a white-haired Dominican priest whom I did not know. When I told him that I had been in the Order once, he asked what year I had been ordained. On hearing my answer, he said fondly, "Ah, a young pup."

I cannot remember the last time anyone thought of me as a young pup!



PS. On another note entirely, this group has, over time, become not just intra-Christian but inter-faith, with Jewish members now. Consequently, though massively Christian, and Catholic at that, during none of the prayers or songs or speeches around the dinner was Christ ever mentioned.

I don't really understand the liberal impulse to create broader affiliations which result in self-erasure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...