Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Slings and arrows

I confess. I got caught up watching an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. A woman  --3rd generation matchmaker, New York Jewish-- tries to find mates for the rich: male and female, gay and straight. As with all these "reality" shows, I am suspicious of how real they are.

But, to my point. Two millionaire women in search of husbands. A Russian immigrant, divorced with a young son, is a high-end realtor. She has a house in the Hamptons. She speaks English with both a thick accent and less than comfortable diction. She is blond and in good shape. Her affect seems to me like a lot of Russians: when not flat, dark. Second, a fat US blond with too much makeup and an unnatural affection for her two small nasty toy dogs, one of whom she named Paris Hilton. Her apartment is entirely pink. She is a marketer of high end beauty products. And reveals herself to be, in the company of men, a brainless twit. Really.

Despite the matchmaker's advice (real or scripted?) each woman chose the sexy man over the substantial man: the Russian chose a Latino male stripper, the American a muscular gold-digging plumber. Neither got far with them.




But both of these women are highly successful in business, and wealthy.

A sterling, charming fella like myself, though also unlucky in love, is not wealthy.

Discuss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vaguely reminds me of the questions I had to write on for my comps at BC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...