Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Shocka

My friend Bill, who worships dogs but loathes rich people, had to be reminded yesterday, when he expressed shock that his Republican brother in law once offered to pay for Bill's mother's medical bills out of his own pocket, that conservatives are happy to give their money voluntarily to people they care about but not willing to have it taken from them by force and given to strangers they dislike.*

A fundamental crack in Bill's worldview. He's a bizarre combo of libertarian loner and big government supporter who naturally thinks that "Republicans" don't like big government and high taxes because they are stingy and greedy by nature.

When I pointed out that studies show, unambiguously, that conservatives are far more generous donors to charity than liberals, he looked at me as if I'd just contradicted the second law of thermodynamics.

Liberalism is a trance and a thought disorder.

---

*This is almost a run-on sentence. I could have edited it into three shorter ones. But this is my blog and this is how I actually think sometimes, in paragraphs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...