Sunday, February 12, 2012

Who was that masked man?

Cleaning out a closet, I found three essays I wrote during my doctoral days back in 1981 at the University of Toronto. These were called themes and you had to produce fifteen of them, each one about 30-40 pages, on an agreed upon set of topics preparing you for your doctoral thesis. It was in place of a single comp exam. A lot of work.
The theology of the Death of God: the evolution of the theology of Thomas JJ Altizer 1966-1977

A mixed marriage of the 60's, Buddha and Hegel. By the time I finished this paper...I think it was the last of the 15 themes and I dragged my feet on it, I had come to hate Altizer so much I wanted to put nails through my head. My informal assessment is that it was grandiose useless bullshit.

Narrative consciousness and theology
(Georg Szanto & Allain Robbe-Grillet cum JD Crossan and Johann B Metz)
Contemporary philosophies of history and historiography:
RG Collinwood and HI Marrou.

1 comment:

BigProducer said...

You might want to sell those papers to The Learning Channel (TLC). They would make a good counterpoint to "My 600 Pound Life," and "Hoarders."

There's a reason why it's called The Learning Channel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...