Friday, April 24, 2015

The male mind, sanctified

Compartmentalization is, I think, a male specialty. For example, I am in a pretty good mood. It's a bit cooler than I'd like, but it's sunny. I have my nuclear-strength cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin at my side. So my mood is good.

My thoughts, however, are bloody. Perusing the "internets" --as Mr B's mom calls them-- I find the usual daily outrages chronicled. And my imagined forest of gallows adds new inhabitants. I discover new reasons each morning why it would be a cool idea to slowly strangle certain personages from lampposts. Or to drive certain groups into the sea, etc. But this does not always disturb my equanimity.

I don't think it's a sign of sociopathy. Sociopaths are famous for combining murderous mayhem with low blood pressure and steady brain wave activity. I think it's both a combo of natural male division of mind and a long spiritual practice.

Yes, ExC has a spiritual practice! When I was in college and I discovered CG Jung's concept of the shadow, I secretly substituted shadow meditation for the tedious Jesuit-style mental dramas that I was being taught to create twice-daily in the religious order I belonged to. I let myself become aware of the bloody-minded thoughts I carried, so that they would no longer frighten or horrify me. I learned to distinguish between the natural shadowy eruptions of a human psyche and the actual carrying out of the desires or fears that those images spoke for.

My favorite quote from Dr Jung



Consequently, I am a man whose imagination can easily entertain quite grisly scenarios, but who, when push comes to shove, is alas, ineffectual not a danger to anyone.

---

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...