Monday, November 22, 2010

Reviews in brief

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I really liked the original one, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. A punchy, moving and imaginative retelling of the Christian drama in an alternate world. But this sequel is a yawn. Mostly because the bad guys all seem like cartoon conquistadors and the Prince is a wimp.  But Queen Susan is an excellent archer and Aslan/Liam Neeson roars nice.

Boy Culture. A gay movie where I didn't hate everybody!  Romantic, even. Derek Magyar is easy on the eyes and likeable. Darryl Stephens, who played handsome but way too fey Noah on the eponymous Noah's Arc series, actually plays a gay man here, not a breathless queen. And even the breathless queen in the film is too young to hate. Surprised to see Patrick Bauchau. Good moment when Stephens come home to tell his family he's gay and they already know. Asks his mom how long she knew. "Since you were 8."

Reminds me of when I anxiously came out to my sister many years ago. Her response was, "What a relief.  I've known for a long time but I was afraid you'd never figure it out." Talk about deflating a dramatic moment. LOL.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1. Gonna see it tomorrow. But a spoiler element is that Ron dreams that Harry and Hermione have sex. Sounds incestuously creepy. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Narnia books were among my favorites as a child, which is why I've seen these movies. /Caspian/ was a bit snoozey, though. It happens that the book was also the least memorable of the seven, in my opinion, so perhaps that can't be helped. The soon-coming movie /The Voyage of the Dawn Treader/ ought to be better, with its journey to a series of mysterious islands and even to the World's End.

--Nathan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...