Friday, April 01, 2011

In festo fatuorum

I feel a certain affection for this day, having been a fool too often in my life.


I still sometimes surprise myself at my conservative responses. Although I have not read Sr Elizabeth Johnson's recently condemned book, I did read She Who Is, so I have some notion of her theological "shape."

She describes her formative influences as follows:

In the decades since then, my theological thought has been influenced, challenged, expanded, and prodded forward by successive encounters with other theological movements. Each has influenced my approach to different questions, in some cases very substantially. In chronological order, my intellectual autobiography includes the following:
  • the documents of Vatican II, especially Gaudium et Spes;
  • biblical scholarship flourishing since the council;
  • American death of God theology;
  • European Catholic theology, especially Rahner, Metz, and Schillebeeckx;
  • European Protestant theology, especially Barth, Bonhoeffer, and Pannenberg, on whom I wrote my doctoral dissertation;
  • Latin American liberation theology, enhanced by its expression in the South African context;
  • feminist theology, with its diverse voices in womanist, mujerista, Asian-American, and third-world women's theologies;
  • currently underway: encounters with comparative theology, ecological theology, and postmodern thought especially as mediated through feminist theory.

Is there anything trendy she not been influenced by?

When I was involved in the Church, which accounts for 20 years of my life, I was certainly not a conservative. But I hoped I was, in most respects*, in the classical and orthodox tradition. And when I realized that I could not be, I left.

Whether it's just my aging or a somewhat right perception, I experience the Western tradition in which I was raised to be under serious threat. Internally, so many of the decent impulses of that tradition have turned, well, pardon the dramatic metaphor, cancerous. There seems to be, within the progressive movement so powerful now in our culture, a suicidal drive masked by high-mindedness.
I am not inclined to open my culture's veins to placate its despisers.

It may be a lost cause. I watch the case of Western Europe, with its double metastasis of EU regulation and Muslim immigration. I watch Canada, always a more European culture than our Revolution-shaped Yankeeness, with its self-erasure to please aliens and its hideous human rights commissars. I may support American exceptionalism, but I do not think it a magic shield.

Anyway, whoever seems to me to be a bulwark or pillar of the West has my default support.

So even though I had to part ways with my Mother Church, I have not the slightest desire that she turn into the Episcopal Church, which has kowtowed to every progressive movement in sight and continues to be both moribund and increasingly irrelevant.

Liberals are often, at first blush, nicer people than conservatives. Until you challenge them. Then the amount of bile can be truly stunning. Not to say conservatives are always charming, but I find most of them care more about the survival of what I care about.

Sister Johnson is not one of them.

*The exception is obvious by now, I hope. But even there, I decided that the Church could not change to accomodate me. And later came to think that it shouldn't. At least not in the way I wanted it to.

PS. I checked out several sites that featured the story and allowed comments. The anti-bishop comments were that they were  1. old. 2. men 3. who had not handled the sex abuse issue well 4 who were all about control and 5. were narrow minded and old-fashioned. Impressive argumentation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rumpole of the Bailey was marry'd to "She Who Must Be, Obey'd." Same Absolute?

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Very clever, jpn.

Anonymous said...

'Radical reinterpreters' would be much more *dangerous* if they didn't bother with the re-interpretation detour, and instead directly stated their agenda and list of good and just things and list of bad and unjust things, and call'd for the artistic composition of ceremonies and songs etc expressing this action plan, and urged that they replace the stuff currently on show in churches.

The possibility and validity of this approach is imply'd in the method of the re-interpreters. "We" unPickwickianly know already what is good and just, and what is bad and unjust. For instance, that it is just and good to comb the Bible for feminine metaphors etc for God, and for strong female leaders etc, and to gives these a weight all out of proportion to their original weight in the Bible, which is 'patriarchalist' etc.

And indeed, we all judge religions and institutions and books etc: e.g. Is Christianity any good? Well, in some cases Christianity isn't (witch-hunts, persecutions etc) but then in some cases Christianity did the right thing (e.g. opposing female infanticide; eventually opposing slavery, etc). That is, Christianity like Buddhism or Islam or Communism or whatnot is good when it lives up to our criteria and bad when it fails these criteria.

Even God is judged this way: that is, actions and words attributed to Him that conflict with our criteria are interpreted as only attributed to Him by mistaken human beings. (At the same time, God and institutions may judge us — according to these same criteria, e.g. have we been sufficiently opposed to racist oppression etc?)

This foundaiton may be deem'd absurd, but if one tries to get rid of this reality in worship, one can't arrive at worship — e.g. "we" "ought to" hold good and just what seems to us bad and unjust accordingly as "God" or a church commands us. But if obedience to this God or this church doesn't already seem right and good to us, then the commander won't seem to have any authority.

If we are first intimidated into obeying, then the implicit criteria follow along within the compliance. "Obey God's word no matter what!" or "Obey the church's word no matter what!" becomes implicitly understood as this is right to do because God and the church are opposed to all things we know are unjust, and in favour of all things we know are just. That is, we end up obeying God or the church because they are opposed to exploitation, violence, ruining the environment etc.

Opponents of islamophobia at the very least imply and often outright say that "vast majority" Islam differs from "true" Christianity (and 'true' Buddhism, Judaism etc) only in keeping different feasts (Ramadan in place of Lent, and so on), but otherwise calls for good deeds, interpersonal peaceableness etc.

Changes in valuation of this sort occur in continuity with criteria already assumed, e.g. "everyone should be treated fairly, excluding women from the priesthood because of Eve's sin isn't fair. QED."

Sister Johnson is no different in her foundaitonal method as I assume it here than the most ordinary journalist or clergyman who composes an acceptable version of the truth for his readers or congregation. How unnecessary and even impossible "revelation" is for unPickwickian understandings of right and wrong, good and evil!

Transcendence wouldn't be arrived at(?) if this foundation were declared the real foundation. But if this foundation were declared not the real foundation, then transcendence also wouldn't be arrived at: the authorities would have to say, "You should do what you shouldn't, and you shouldn't do what you should."

"The bridge that is a bridge isn't a bridge." Tao Te Ching ¶1.

Anonymous said...

Heidegger: the most primordial interpretation or reading is a reading of the interpreter's own presuppositions into the text (Being and Time, p. 152f).

Because the foundation of dogma is the believer who seeks understanding and the interpreter whom the believing seeker is to meet in the circle (Being and Time, p. 10).

Blaise Pascal sees in Christianity “submission and the use of reason” (Pensée #167 [Penguin]).

Augustine defines belief as “to think with assent” (The Predestination of the Saints, i ch 5). (the assent is the formative, religious processing; the think is the re-naturing political rule)

Anonymous said...

P.S. re »The exception is obvious by now, I hope. But even there, I decided that the Church could not change to accomodate me. And later came to think that it shouldn't. At least not in the way I wanted it to.«

I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want acceptance of gay and lesbian relationships in "the" Church to involve implying that her doctrines etc had all been wrong?

Anonymous said...

BTW, why does everyone give a free pass to Sister Johnson re the patriarchalness of her formative influences?
»the documents of Vatican II, especially Gaudium et Spes; biblical scholarship flourishing since the council; American death of God theology; European Catholic theology, especially Rahner, Metz, and Schillebeeckx; European Protestant theology, especially Barth, Bonhoeffer, and Pannenberg, on whom I wrote my doctoral dissertation; Latin American liberation theology, enhanced by its expression in the South African context«

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...