Friday, April 08, 2011

Another loss

It's not a surprise, but still sad, my gym is closing at the end of the month.


After years of on-and-offing, I went back to working out regularly in 2002. One of the best things I ever did. I am not kidding when I have said that my five to six times a week visits there have been the foundation of my mental health, such as it is, to say nothing of getting me, in my fifties, in the best shape of my life. And, with a few temporary setbacks, maintaining both my weight and my level of fitness.

The guy who bought the place in 2003 is an asshole. He managed to drive away so many of his long-time members by his combination of narcissistic unresponsiveness and faggy defensive-condescending attitude. Its failure is entirely his doing. I have been joining only in 3 month increments the last year or so because I expected this to happen.

It is a huge loss for my friend Bill, who's worked there for 35 years. A good guy who treated people well and knew what he was doing. But he had no influence with the owner. I am told that the business has been bought by someone who wants to turn it into a high-end space for people with private trainers. Good luck, in this economy.

I used to call it "Cheers with Barbells" because it was a nice social space, too. But most of the guys I used to chat with have all left. Sometimes there are only a half a dozen members in there. Now I have to choose between another gym a bit farther away (no small issue, given my deep-seated laziness) or Gold's, which is even closer to home but jam packed with the local Castro population. Muscle queens for days. Oy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...