Thursday, December 02, 2010

Black Friday

Thanks to Jack Donovan on FB, I just watched as much as I could stand of a video showing the consumer stampedes of Black Friday: people lined up in drove, in the cold, in the dark, who then rush like crazed Meccan pilgrims into stores and start grabbing bargains.

I am by no means well-off, and am no puritan when it comes to consuming, so I am sensitive to a bargain, but what object in a Target or WalMart store could be so valuable that you would engage in that kind of behavior? Maybe these folks are extraverted sensates and they enjoy the jostling.

Or maybe I am watching our homegrown peasant-thug-barbarian class in freefall. How many of these people also gravitate toward Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...