Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Tales Unfinished

I listened through to the end of volume 8 of Tales of the City and it was ok. Maupin did manage to pull one of his right-angle hair-pin plot turns and surprise me. It was ok.

I started the final book but have lost interest. The characters who were so charming and compelling in the 70's and 80's are not so interesting now. Anna Madrigal, brought to life on film in the 90's by Olympia Dukakis, is not all that much of a draw in print, and in her own 90s, and in contemporary SF. Ancient dope-smoking transgenders have their limits.

As for the other characters, they just keep on keepin' on. And what was once kinda edgy and new has now achieved cultural hegemony.

So unless I am bit by some other bug, the last of the Tales will go unread/listened to by me.

It's not the 70's anymore.

---

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...