Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Synchronicity

For some reason I decided to watch, yet again, the Tales of the City movie series. Michael Tolliver/Marcus D'Amico is an archetypal type of mine.


Marcus D'Amico then


And now


While checking some of the characters' connections online, I find that Armistead Maupin has just published his ninth and final book in the series, The Tales of Anna Madrigal.

I loved the (earlier) books, and the filmed version. This was when I was a good gay liberal, of course. But his 2007 effort, Michael Tolliver Lives, was so majorly offputting that I skipped the next volume about Mary Ann. The reviews of this final work are such that I might give it a try.

I hope that Armisted has regained his affection for the human race, and not just the "LGBTQ" part of it.

---








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall finding this series on Logo years ago, back when I was first working out the details of my sexuality. I can remember watching it in secret when my parents were out of the house and my siblings were either with them or otherwise occupied. Logo, a channel for-gays-by-gays, was my first first-hand encounter with gay culture, and it has influenced my perception of the community ever since.

Naturally I was attracted to the men and their bodies. But their attitudes and behaviors turned me off. They "looked fair, and felt foul," as Tolkien might write. I did not act like that, nor did I look like the mannequin thin men I was seeing. I was (and still am) closer to "chub cub" than anything else (fortunately powerlifting is heading me towards "fireplug" status; get rid of the stubborn baby fat around the middle and voila!) I got introduced to the bear community, and would probably gravitate to that community if I ever "integrate," but I realized that it was basically a costume swap from standard-issue gay.

"Sex and the City" offered me my first inkling that homosexuality and masculinity were not mutually exclusive. It planted the seed that bloomed when I got exposed to Jack Donovan, and was watered by wandering across this blog.:) I still remember the quaint soap-opera feel of the plots. I'll have to watch it again someday, for old times' sake.

-Sean

Anonymous said...

D'oh! I meant "Further Tales of the City"! A much better show than than modern peace of crap!

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...