Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Manly...or picky?

To make a long story short, I was on the phone a couple of times today with a guy selling a car I liked. When, after some miscommunication, I finally get the VIN and run the Carfax check, it turns out that this nice black Rodeo is...green. It looked black in the pictures, but it's not. It's green.

I hate green cars*.

Now this is not some rejection of either environmentalism or Islam. Hey, my house is painted shades of green. (And I am kinda color blind, but even this blog might be green.) But that's different. This is a car. And it's "spruce green". To me that reads "no character". It's a color that says, "If I could be invisible and still be annoying, I'd be spruce green."

No way.

*I just realized. My first car was green. A green convertible. My dad bought it for me my senior year in high school. I developed a set of new friends...But after two months, he announced that something had happened with the deal which required the return of the car. Very mysterious. And back it went. I was a pedestrian once again. Gone the new friends. As I am now. Except then I was 18.

He never explained what happened. Maybe that's why I hate green cars...

__________________

Speaking of manly, got my bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt, an evil cigar and watching Torchwood, with Captain Jack Harkness. Good man, Captain Jack. None of his cars are green, either.

There was a recent controversy in gaydom because some gay writer suggested that straight audiences won't buy gay actors like Sean Hayes, who played an uber-queen on Will & Grace as romantic male leads with women. Duh. But I bet they'd buy John Barrowman, who plays omnisexual Captain Jack. In real life Barrowman is gay, partnered, out, etc. but the guy is convincing when he puts the moves on women and men both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

»And it's "spruce green". To me that reads "no character". It's a color that says, "If I could be invisible and still be annoying, I'd be spruce green."«

!! (Also ? but still !!)

... I've never given "spruce green" any thought till now, but to me a spruce green car would be regular-guy "camp" style-loser. That is, very funny. If I had had a car while at Regent College, I would've liked spruce green very much. Would have amused all those I would wish to amuse, sc everyone who would be amused by such a car colour is a person I would want to amuse.

... We're quite different, eh?/huh?

Anonymous said...

P.S. Sorry about your early-life car trauma. ... Probably you should try to find out what you can from your mother about what was going on with that before she passes. IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Charlotte Church's interview with John Barrowman? I like him as Cap'n Jack. I find him less attractive out of character, except for the Scottish accent in part 3. In part 3 he also talks about being rejected for the roll of Will in Will & Grace.
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532RpxhDnuI
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqTM365KEjw
part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3m8G425Wcw

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...