Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Moody

After I have a viral infection, like the flu I have had the last while, I usually get depressed. It's been a pattern of mine since my 30's. I have learned to expect it. And it has pretty well arrived on schedule. (I also have a couple of days of dropping things, tripping on stairs, etc. That has not happened so far.)

Moods are the lenses through which we interpret life, the emotional focus we bring to our experience. When the mood is depressive, everything turns grey and the focus leans toward the negative and the fearful, what is least attractive in ourselves and others. It filters memory and the present in a one-sidedly darker tone. Not fun.

It is a trial for The Boyo, who does not believe in bad moods. How I envy him sometimes!

Even if you know, as I do, that it is a chemical reaction to an infection and that it will run its course, you still have the experience, the feelings, the cognitive bias. They are real.

We are not angels, well, at least I am not. Not at all.

___________________

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...