Friday, January 01, 2010

Starting 2010

Two things come to mind that I am self-involvedly happy about, as The Aughts come to an end.

First, of course, The Boyo, My Guy, The Man. I know that I sound like an inexperienced teenager about him sometimes, but I am neither new to romance nor anything close to being chronologically adolescent. But being in love has a way of equalizing us all. He is not perfect, my guy. We have a few issues; who doesn't? But he is definitely terrific. Makes me very happy. Very. Here he is, being happy. He's good at it.



Second, at a time of year when a lot of people are bemoaning the weight they gained during the holidays, only adding to their already problematic weight or fitness status, I am doing very well in that department. My health is good and I am in good shape. No need to "go back to the gym." I never left.

My BMI number, that ham-fisted measure docs use to decide who's obese and who's not, makes me overweight. I clearly am not.



Both my ex and one of my sisters have expressed concern that I am too thin! Six foot one, around 195-200 lbs, 33-34 waist, maybe 15% bodyfat. The result of going to the gym 5-6 days a week for 7 years!* Feels good to look good. Shallow, but true.

So with love and health, I am good. I am very grateful.


There's a gay folk-wisdom saying that you can never have a great lover, a great job AND a great house all at the same time. Two out of three only are allowed.

Well, I think My Guy has all three: a tenured and unionized job he likes, a really nicely done home, and me. But I have only two. He's great, my house is fine for now, and although I love my work, the recession has been very tough on my income. So it's good for innate interest and satisfaction, but not for the bank account. Will that improve in 2010? And if it does, will Mr. Wonderful turn sour? Will my roof leak?

But since the Mayan Calendar tells us that the world will end on 21 December 2012, it's not all that important....

___________________

*Before 2002 I was off-again on-again in the gym and weight department. Basically an aging ectomorph with an appetite for carbs. That year I lost over 45 lbs and finally succeeded in making regular exercise and reasonable eating a part of my ordinary life. I've had a few setbacks along the way, but just put one foot in front of the other and got results. Part of the reason I am so narcissistically pleased is that this is a later-life achievement and I know that it has a built-in shelf-life. Wish I had done it a long time ago, but enjoying the hell out of it now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Amazing as always

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...