Saturday, February 01, 2014

The Darker Dark Side

I have often referred to myself as having "gone over to the Dark Side" because I was a gay liberal who became a conservative.

As the catastrophe of ObamaNation has unfolded since 2008, conservatism has seemed an increasingly empty vessel, unable to confront much less slow or halt the "progressive" juggernaut. American conservatism shares too many common assumptions with Liberalism to fight it. One primary one is the acceptance of the notion that all men are created equal. And all women. And all groups.

Since the repeat of 2008 in November of 2012, it has seemed to me that the decline is accelerating. And so I have begun to think of myself less as a conservative and more of a half-assed reactionary. It has harder and harder to think of a multi-ethic and equality-loving polity based in the Enlightenment (as was the American founding) which would not eventually turn into the democracy we now have. And democracy in the sense that the republican Founding Fathers meant it: mob rule by ballot box.

Turns out that there is a thing called The Dark Enlightenment, even darker than RightWing Conservatism.

This angel keeps falling.

---




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a state would be interesting, to say the least. An unabashed ethnostate in this day and age would be short an allies. Look at Israel.

From what I have gathered, the culture would be archaeofuturistic, embracing technological progress while looking to the traditions of the past for guidance as to its use. Religiously, agnostics, atheists, ethnocentric Christians, and ancestral neopagans would be rubbing shoulders. If that's the case, sign me up for Germanic neopaganism!

-Sean

Anonymous said...

There is a book free on the internet: "The Dark Enlightenment" by Nick Land. As bracing (and I hope, ultimately hygienic) as a dose of Listerine, it spells out some gripes I have with democracy and the voting process, namely, my growing suspicion that elections are the equivalent of pro wrestling matches: the outcome has already been decided by the powers that be, and posturing and simulated fighting is merely for the distraction of the ignorant who aren't in on the ruse, and for the amusement of the enlightened who are aware of the theatrics, but watch anyways for a more abstract reason: appreciation of the stage craft, or they have a shallow attraction or sentimental attachment to one of the combatants.

I'm surprised that I am "falling" so young in life, but perhaps it is because I, unlike others, have nothing but reports of the "good-old days" to rely on, which pale in comparison to the crumbling ruins I am told to care about.

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...