Sunday, June 14, 2009

This and that and this



It's getting closer to the summer solstice and the days are longer. It's past 7 in the evening and the sun is still shining on the trees I can see out my backyard window. Good for the soul.

Men often have a preference for different regions of the anatomy. I am an admirer of a good pair of shoulders. I work on mine and have done better than I thought. Was standing near a man in the gym today whose frame I admire and I thought it would be nice to be built like him. When I looked in the mirror and saw both of us together, I realized we were not that different in the shoulder department. I liked that. Although I am over 6 feet tall, weigh 200 lbs and am in pretty good shape, I sometimes forget that, and the "skinny-marink" I grew up being still inhabits my body.

There are different flavors of tiredness. I am tired after working out, but it feels good. I am tired in the muscles I work out, usually 48 hours later, and this is achy and unpleasant. I am tired to the point of wanting to fall right off to sleep; that is sweet. And I am tired from being too tired; that is not.

Interesting how the component parts of our "real self" get decided. Does it include our neuroses, our immaturities and our maladaptive attitudes, beliefs and behaviors? When I was a teenager, I slumped, dragged my feet and mumbled. My father would have none of it. Consequently, I stand up straight, walk like a man (though I pronate markedly) and speak clearly. What's my real self?

A gay man who colors his hair, has his teeth fixed and gets gel injections in his ass is simply considered to be improving himself, even if it is a little vain. If someone criticizes him because he moves and sounds like a teenage girl, THAT is defended as his real self and the one who criticizes is a homophobe.

What are homosexual men for? Why does nature keep making us? If you reject the notion that we are an ongoing mistake, like a hair lip or deafness, what purpose do we serve?

On a bad day, it seems to me that many of us are merely ornamental, decorative, a kind of accessory to a certain kind of civilization. In the words of Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias, "What sets us apart from the lower animals is our ability to accessorize."

Although I am sitting in northern California, a part of me is floating on the other side of the globe, where it is morning along the Silk Road and a soul I care about is getting ready to board a train.

I'm watching Bogart play Marlowe with Lauren Bacall in the 1946 Big Sleep. Reminds me of one of my favorite films, Neil Simon's 1976 Murder by Death. Wiki describes it: "The plot combines a convoluted, highly improbable murder-mystery arc with plenty of farce, slapstick, witty banter, and self-referential humour." No wonder I like it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you reject the notion that we are an ongoing mistake, like a hair lip or deafness, what purpose do we serve?" Sickle cell anemia looked as unexplainable until it was discovered that having sickle cell anemia also made you more reistant to malaria. Perhaps sexual preference that cannot possibly produce children will turn out to be something like that. Or, more likely, that individual human beings don't count as much as we individual human beings think we do... nature makes a lot of us and a lot more of everything else, and if some of us are wired a little funny then it's no big deal. It doesn't mean anything and it's not for anything. It just happened. - Trevor

Anonymous said...

Bruce Bagemihl, in his book _Biological Exuberance_, talks a lot about things in nature that seem to "just happen" for no real purpose, and also expands on an evolutionary theory as to why this is.

Basically, creatures usually have access to more energy / nutrition etc., than they actually need just to live and reproduce; they have to find "wasteful" ways of expending their energies; evolution creates "wasteful" forms and behaviors.

--Nate_FM / LightSnake

PugBear said...

"What are homosexual men for?" My favorite theory is that our biological purpose is to sexually service straight men. I'm not convinced it's true. I just like the theory

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...