Saturday, January 31, 2009

The good old days



Obama's recent appearance on Al-Arabiya TV to make nice with the Arabs and Muslims contained his wish to "restore the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago."

Let's see. That would be 1978-1988.

Hmmm. Anything of note there?

Oh, yeah.  

Iran hostage crisis, 444 days long from 1979-1981.

Obama is so brilliant, isn't he?

I was telling an Obama-voting friend today that The One reminds me of a combination of John Edwards and Jimmy Carter, who, by the way, has my vote for worst president of my lifetime and worst ex-president, as well.

I am not responsible for anything much in this world. I have zilch power in international affairs. And it was thirty years ago. So, I can afford to let myself have the kind of reverie I had, on remembering those days.

Here's the message I wish Carter had given then.
Good evening. By invading the American embassy and holding our citizen-diplomats prisoner, the government of Iran has broken a sacred contract universally honored among nations . It is equivalent to directly attacking our sovereign soil.

Consequently, unless all hostages are released unharmed and allowed to leave Iran within ten days, I will ask Congress to declare that a state of war exists between the United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Iran. Following on that declaration, Iran can expect to be reduced to rubble. Any loss of life will be the direct responsibility of that country's government. Good night. God bless America.
____________________

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...