Wednesday, July 01, 2009

O Canada



July 1st is the Canadian national holiday, Canada Day.

I lived in Canada, around Toronto, from 1974-1991 and eventually became a naturalized citizen, once the US allowed dual citizenship. Some of the most significant events of my life took place in Canada and some of the most significant people in my life are Canadians.

Most Americans have the dimmest idea of Canada. And over the years, unfortunately, I think that too many Canadians have taken on a very dim notion of who they are, allowing them to engineer their own fading away.

My sense of Canada nowadays is largely wistful, regretful that a unique people, dazzled by a leader like Pierre Trudeau, (who reminds me of Barack Hussein Obama) allowed their history and natural identity to be discarded in favor of a set of supposedly superior values, especially government-driven multiculturalism, state-controlled medicine and an unearned sense of anti-American moral superiority, which includes having transcended the merely Yankee notion of free speech.

Canada is my second country, a vast and beautiful country, a place and people I became part of and who became part of me. But if I had to choose, I'd take July 4th over July 1st.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...