Thursday, October 07, 2010

Thursday evening

Thank God for the gym. For the last eight years or so, it has become the cornerstone of my mental health. Can't imagine how good I'd feel if, in addition to the other stresses, I was overweight and out of shape. Then I'd be a total mark for the noctural infomercials, as well as the Golden Gate Bridge. I've got crappy knees, so I can't do squats. And I have to watch the lower back; very little concave stress allowed on my old discs. And I have to be aware of my left shoulder. But other than that, I'm ok. And it still surprises and pleases me when I can do my workout, enjoy it, feel good and look good.

At least from the neck down...had my passport photo done yesterday. Yikes. Hello, Boris Karloff. I may ask for a do-over. This image has to last ten years.

My FB friend Leah, from LA, alerted me to something very local that I did not notice:


there's a billboard at one of the gas stations on the corner of Market and Castro announcing a talk by Sarah Palin in San Jose. But, that's me. I have walked past some of the stores on my street for twenty years and don't know their actual names. The liquor store has its own name, but to me it's just the liquor store, etc. I wonder how long the Sarah Palin sign will last here amongst the tolerant and open-minded. One local commentor in the paper said, with no sense of irony, that "we in the Castro are tolerant of everyone except the intolerant, like Palin and the Tea Party and their ilk." Oy.

My sister-in-law's brother is on FB and he noted that their dad had to surrender his driver's license today. He has Alzheimer's and didn't really know what was happening. It reminded me of when my dad had to give up driving, how hard it was for him to lose that independence. In the last few years of his life, one of our routines when I'd visit was me driving us to the town dump to get rid of the recycling. The first time I drove him was strange. A sign of his diminishment. The FB notice brought tears to my eyes, remembering that.

Thank God that this was a sunny day. Helps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have walked past some of the stores on my street for twenty years and don't know their actual names."

Feel ye foolish not! When I'm setting up a carpet install, the forms have spot after the address where peops are to indicate a couple of cross-streets, and whether they are to the north, south, east or west -- and the majority of the customers can't actually do this.

--Nathan

Steve in Alabama said...

I sure as hell wish I could fix this. Just know that this guy in the Deep South thinks you're a rock star.

Speaking of rock stars, go listen to "Hello Hurricane" and "Yet" by Switchfoot -- or at least look up the lyrics.

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Kind words, Steve, but the thought of me as a rock star made me laugh..so thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Sarah Plain sign in your neighbourhood isn't favourable after all. The gas price numbers add to 959.7. js960 is "despise." js959 is "despise." (Both BZH)

js1421 (from 14th &2010) means "revilings."

Plus, Jacob's ladder own'd by the proverbial man in the white van is flagrantly NOT extending between heaven and earth. "Castro" perhaps permits in this context bkw QTsR js7114, 7115 to curtail, dock off -- vex, trouble, loth, etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...