Worth reading: 12 myths about war, and the Belmont Club's response, especially the final paragraph.
- 1. War doesn’t change anything.
- 2. Victory is impossible today.
- 3. Insurgencies can never be defeated.
- 4. There’s no military solution; only negotiations can solve our problems.
- 5. When we fight back, we only provoke our enemies.
- 6. Killing terrorists only turns them into martyrs.
- 7. If we fight as fiercely as our enemies, we’re no better than them.
- 8. The United States is more hated today than ever before.
- 9. Our invasion of Iraq created our terrorist problems.
- 10. If we just leave, the Iraqis will patch up their differences on their own.
- 11. It’s all Israel’s fault. Or the popular Washington corollary: “The Saudis are our friends.”
- 12. The Middle East’s problems are all America’s fault.
As I noted the other day, the combination of moral highmindedness and self-loathing that Western liberals exhibit is quite striking.